The Fighting Perverts Forum Index The Fighting Perverts
Keeping the world safe from naked women who wear ski masks

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ouch! Bandwidth crisis is back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Fighting Perverts Forum Index -> The Fighting Perverts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedPervert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Ouch! Bandwidth crisis is back. Reply with quote

This is a big problem -- I couldn't have anticipated such a sudden spike in traffic and didn't have time to react to the drain on the site.

I've disabled the trailer video but I'm now on the hook for $145 in excess bandwidth charges. Some of you were generous enough to buy some DVDs and make donations but not nearly enough to offset the overage.

I'm going to try and get my account upgraded and see if I can dodge this charge - then I'll try and see if I can get the medium resolution version of the trailer back online.

I'll keep you all posted.
HeroreV
Minion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider distributing the movie files using BitTorrent.

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Some people might find it annoying, and it does seem a bit difficult to get everything set up, but it would greatly reduce the amount of bandwidth.

Whatever happens, good luck.
RedPervert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea hero, I'll look into that.

Meanwhile, I'm calling my webhost's customer service tomorrow to see if I can work something out where I don't end up $145 in the hole. Wish me luck.
HeroreV
Minion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPervert wrote:
Wish me luck.

Ok. Good luck!
RedPervert
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Everything worked out. I'm spending more in monthly costs but it's a lot less than it would have been if I'd absorbed the overage penalty.

I'm downloading BitTorrent right now. Assuming it works the way I think it works, all the videos will be up again before you know it.

EDIT: Setting up BitTorrent on my server seems moderately complex. I'm sure I'll figure it out but in the meantime I'm gonna focus most of my time on posting more galleries. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Fighting Perverts Forum Index -> The Fighting Perverts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum